Social News and Strategies:
- Facebook discovered through testing that when people saw more text status updates they were more likely to write more status updates themselves.
- This phenomenon was not the same for Pages. Posts from Pages behave differently than posts from friends and Facebook is working to improve its ranking algorithms to better differentiate between the two post types, thus showing more of the content people want to see.
- What to expect as a Page admin? A decrease in the distribution of text status updates, but may see some increases in engagement and distribution for other story types, such as multimedia.
- Facebook suggests that the best way to share a link is after an update by using a link-share. Currently, they shrink links and embed into posts. Facebook has found that, as compared to sharing
- links by embedding in status updates, link-share posts get more engagement (more likes, comments, shares and clicks) and provide a more visual and compelling experience for people seeing them in their feeds.
- The infiltration of parents and grandparents on Instagram and Facebook is one reason why millennials are reducing their time on both platforms.
- Snapchat may represent a shift in how millennials communicate.
- Millennials believe Snapchat offers them an intimate, personal form of communication and an authenticity they crave but aren’t finding elsewhere.
- Snapchat provides an “unpolished glimpse” into someone’s life, despite the fact that some shots are staged.
Social Campaigns and Case Studies:
- Tips from Wayfair:
- Add the Pin It button to every product page and article on your site
- Use the Top Pins API to showcase popular Pins right on your website
- Offer promotions on items trending on Pinterest
- Wayfair.com finds that Pinterest referrals spend more, on average, than visitors from other social channels.
- The company looked to Pinterest as a way to engage with new audiences through their thousands of product images, ultimately increasing direct sales and brand awareness.
- Wayfair.com works with bloggers who have strong Pinterest followings to source high-quality, unique photographs for their boards, blog and content articles.
- Campaign Mission: Inform low-stakes gamblers that their money cycles back into the system to help public education, winner or not.
- Goal: To generate more sales from Gen Y consumers who were interested in cause-related actions, and the lottery revenues benefits.
- The New York Lottery’s new campaign included a group of South Bronx grade-schoolers singing “Thank you for being a friend” at a convenience store whenever someone bought a ticket.
- They’re now asking schools to upload videos of their kids singing the same song to the brand’s FB page for a chance to win a grand prize of $10,000 for their school. Other prizes include $5,000 and $2,500 winnings.